Saturday, November 21, 2009

of Kirstin Wolcott and rooftop vespers

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since I last posted something here. I'm so sorry to those of you who check this more regularly than I write, but since the last post I've been so busy! I was going to post last night but opted for journaling instead :) So here we are again--Sabbath afternoon blogs..

Wednesday I began my morning at 4am by jumping in the Hilux and heading for Dhaka. Litton came along with us because he had to get things figured out with the NGO people. Riding in the truck was SO much nicer with only two people in the back. I was actually able to stretch out my long legs a little instead of being cramped with three people in the backseat. We headed straight for the Dental Clinic in Uttara, stopping only once for diesel. The closer we got to Dhaka, the more the sooty air began to fill my lungs.. Ick. I hate Dhaka air.

First things first. I needed more passport pictures because my extras were used for my SIM card contract. Simson took me down the road to get some taken but they wouldn't be ready until noon so we headed back to the clinic for a filling brunch of rice, dhal, and bananas. I love dhal so much. While Litton and I were eating, Simson went to pick up the pictures and then we all headed to the Indian embassy to get me a visa. We got the embassy at about 12:30 and for some reason they were "closed" and told us to come back tomorrow at 11am. Ugh. Why did we start the day so early then?

I had mentioned to Simson and Litton that I was hoping to find more seloar kamees fabric somewhere along the way because I had bought two cheap ones and they were currently proving how cheap they were. They took me to a big street market that had all kinds of fabric for clothes, bed sheets, and towels. It was a bit of a search to find separate fabric for my new outfit but we eventually found some. I know Simson and Litton are Bengali but sometimes you just need a woman's opinion when it comes to clothes. Luckily, white skin draws a crowd so I turned a woman standing on my left, pointed between the two fabrics, and said "Bhalo?" She shook her head no and found a fabric that was more complimentary to the fabric I liked. She helped me find a good quality fabric and even told Litton how much it should cost so I didn't get ripped off. In the end I only paid 165tk, which is freaking amazing, but mostly I was just amazed with how friendly this stranger was :)

After buying the fabric, Litton and Simson took me to a restaurant called Dhansiri. Since it is three floors up, you almost forget the craziness below. We had the Bengali version of chow mein (it's made with spaghetti noodles lol) and some rice with dhal. It was a great meal. At the end, they brought a dish full of cardamom, dried coconut, and rock sugar crystals... Oh my goodness. Best end of dinner dessert ever! It supposedly cleanses the palate but I would eat it just for fun haha.

The next day was busy with a touch of crazy. We headed out early but even the 10ish km drive to embassy took almost an hour. Again, Dhaka traffic is nuts. The guard at the gate to the embassy said we were too early so we headed over to the market to buy supplies for Shati. Gulshen 1 market is where you can find Kellogg's cornflakes, Heinz ketchup, Orbit gum, Twix chocolate, even Knorr instant soup mixes. Random I know but somehow it's comforting to see familiar brands. It seems to lessen the distance between here and home. Gulshen 1 market is the only place to find American food so we spent almost an hour tracking down dried spaghetti noodles, tubs of margarine, canned tomato puree, and strawberry jam among other things on a list from our beloved cook. You know, the necessaties!

We went back to the Indian embassy where the real adventure of the day began. The guys couldn't come in with me for some reason but Simson told me I should try to get a 6-month multiple entry visa if I could. So I walked in, nervous as to what to expect. When I got to the third floor, I found a room filled with chairs and white people sitting in those chairs! I love all my new brown friends, but again there is something comforting about seeing things from home--it's like seeing Mars bars in a store here. I didn't know where to go until I made eye contact with a Swiss guy as he discreetly pointed to a door in the corner. I made my way to a guard in the corner who alerted the meanest man in Bangladesh someone was waiting. I went in and sat down next to a British woman finishing her visa application. She needed exact change for her visa but couldn't find 30tk instead of the 50tk note in her hand. I had small enough change so I pulled it out and gave it to her. I mean, it's only 50cents.

When she was done, Mr.Grumpy turned to me and gruffly asked me what I was applying for, why I was applying, and what I was doing in Bangladesh. I did my best to calmly answer all his questions but I had a glimpse into what it would be like to be interrogated. I hadn't filled out a couple questions on my application because I wanted to ask before doing it. He rudely told me to photocopy my passport and Bengali visa, FINISH my application, and bring it back with 3130tk and I would get a one month, single entry visa. He had dismissed me in his mind already so when I shakily asked him for a longer visa he turned back to me with a look of, "Why are you still here?" He eventually "folded" and gave me a two month, double entry visa, which is better than nothing but I'll have to go back in February and get another one now... Dumb guy.

I photocopied it no problem but on my way back upstairs I realized the 30tk I had given the British woman had made me 20tk short for my own application.. Great. Ol' Grumpster's going to love this. I went back into his office and he promptly kicked me out for not having signed the bottom of the application. So as I sat in the waiting room outside, I found myself surrounded by the above-mentioned white people. I turned to the German couple behind me to ask if they had change for 100tk. They had a 5tk note, the two Swiss guys to my left had a 5tk note, and the three Brits in front of me had a 10tk note. Everyone pitched in to help. It was so cool :) I signed my application and headed back into the lion's den.

He accepted my application and told me when to come back to pick it up (Simson will pick it up later next week for me). He handed my money to a woman next to him to be processed. She was pretty much an apprentice Grumpster. She flicked through my money then told me I needed another 5tk. I knew I had counted right and when I told her so, she handed back to me a 5tk note with a rip in it. Big whoop! I had just scrounged together enough to get the exact amount and now I had to find another 5tk. Luckily, another Brit was sitting next to me and she helped me piece together the 5tk between our small coins. My goodness.. Just a tad bit ridiculous.

Anyways, the rest of day was spent in different markets and government buildings. I talked to my mom for a good 45min on the cell phone I borrowed from someone at the orphanage so that helped to pass some time. When we stopped at the accountant's office, they offered me a Virgin Red drink. After having a couple sips, it was clear this was just paint thinner with a slight cola taste masquerading as pop.. Ugh. That would strip hair off my legs I'm pretty sure!

Mrs.Waid's secretary from the States came over with her husband to help get things organized her at the orphanage. Between their arrival and the NGO stuff, this is why Litton and Jason had to come to Dhaka--getting my visa at the same time was just convenient haha. They flew in Thursday night and then we all headed back to the orphanage early Friday morning. I would have written my adventures then but I was just too tired! I was asking Litton on the way back how he slept the night before and he said he had been up because the mosquitoes were biting him. We both had mosquito nets over the beds in each of our rooms but when I asked him about it, he said "The mosquitoes ate my net so they could get to me!" lol I laughed at the thought :)

[Another funny story: Shati asked us to pick up some Kellogg's cornflakes for whatever reason while in Gulshen. As we were riding in the car later that day, I made a comment to Litton on how seeing American foods over here is kinda comforting. He nodded and asked me how the cornflakes were used. When I told him it was a breakfast cereal, he asked me how it was prepared. I told him you get a bowl, pour some cereal in, and then put milk on top. His next response was "And then? Do you cook it?" Well then you eat it. You see, in Bangladesh, rice and dhal is pretty much your standard breakfast meal. I know there are so many staple foods in Bangladesh that I don't even know of--so Litton, if you are reading this, I'm not laughing at you. It is just interesting that they don't have cereal over here :) ]

I should tell you that while I was in Dhaka I got a call from Michael, my boyfriend, but it came when I was walking down the busy street so I couldn't really hear what he was trying to tell me. It wasn't until I talked to my mom that I heard about what had happened in Yap. My school and its sister schools send out hundreds of student missionaries to all parts of the world every year. Just a few days ago, a girl from Southern Adventist University, who was working at the SDA school in Yap, was found dead. She had been brutally murdered while on her morning run. While I didn't know her, my heart broke for her family. I know how much my family misses me but on some level they are comforted knowing that I'm doing mission work over here and that God will be looking out for me. What her parents and brother must be feeling right now I can't imagine... I hope you all keep them in your prayers!

But what hit me almost harder than anything else is the sinking feeling I had when I realized that just because I'm an SM doesn't mean I'm invincible. You hear stories about tourists getting kidnapped, robbed, etc. but I'm an SM. I'm covered! Or so I thought. Bad things still happen over here and just because I'm doing mission work doesn't mean I'm exempt from it all. Ouch. That's such a hard realization. And then when I think about if something was to happen to Elliot, my best friend here, I can't imagine what Kristen Henderson must be feeling. She was best friend's with Kirstin, the girl who was killed. Ah. It puts a lump in my throat every time. I just have to trust that God has this under control and that He has to let Satan show his unthinkably evil side.

Last night vespers at the orphanage was in Bangla. Elle and I knew we would be bored through it all so we stole the rooftop key from Litton and journeyed up one more floor from our apartment with our Bibles in hand. We had never been on the roof before and the 360degree view is breathtaking. We sat, sometimes layed, on the concrete and gazed into the night sky with only the stars to block our view of heaven. Neither of us said anything until Elliot began to sing. We both sat there singing new and old songs, hymns and contemporary, until Elliot offered up a wonderful prayer. She brought to God the Wolcott family in their time of sorrow, the problems the orphanage is having with the NGO, our relationships back home, and many more things that have been weighing on our hearts. When she was done, she read Ecclesiastes 8 and 9. Ecclesiastes 8 was so perfect for the Yap incident and really put things in perspective for us (curious? Go look it up lol). We had a great discussion afterwards and were really able to debate spiritual things, challenging some views that didn't make sense. It was a great experience. I finished up with prayer, echoing some of the things Elliot had mentioned and added my own thoughts, especially the incredible beauty of the night sky, unadulterated by city lights. It was spectacular.

I hope again that each of you can find Sabbath rest and peace today. Please take time to offer prayers for the friends and family of Kirstin Wolcott. And above all, remember why Sabbath was created--to point you back to the Creator.

blessings to all,
ami tomake bhalobashi

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post Jehanna. Praise God! Just keep looking up... :-) ALL things work together for good... Isa 57:1 will give you insight into Kirsten's death. Bless you to the sky my Jehanna banana! I LOVE YOU!!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete