Monday, December 21, 2009

of visas and stockings

We got back from Dhaka halfway through Friday and I for one was absolutely exhausted... I fell asleep almost as soon as I got to my room and didn't wake up until Patule (Shati's helper) knocked on our door for dinner. The night before had been exceptionally stressful and I think I can finally explain what happened.

After dropping Elle off at the airport, we went to the Bengali Immigration and Passport Office to see about my visa extension. It was after 3pm when we got there so they were only passing out visas that had already been approved and not accepting new applications. I didn't want to get the extension right away but I did want to ask some questions about my visa. Simson told me to muscle my way into the door so someone would talk to me but that's not really how I roll... I just stood near the door, and meekly said "Excuse me, I have a question about my visa" whenever the guard opened the door. Probably not the most effective way of getting things done but these people scare me on some level.

There was a man from Spain that was running into the same troubles as I was so he was standing near the door with me. He started talking with Josiah and me and soon I was lost as the two guys spoke a combination of Spanish, French, and English. Josiah's mother is from Mexico and St.Lucia was passed between English and French hands a bunch of times so he can speak both pretty fluently. Anyways, when the Bengali spokesman for our new Spanish friend came out with his settled visa issue, the Spanish guy muscled HIS way into the door, pointed to me, and said "She has a couple questions for you guys." I tried to explain my situation and then a representative for the office came out to talk to Josiah and me.

After hearing most of our case, he said he couldn't talk about it in the office and to meet him down the road. We met him a couple minutes later and at first he seemed willing to help us. But then he... I don't really know what happened but things went downhill. He said my options were to either pay 45,000tk and write a letter to the High Commission of Bangladesh and petition for a 3month visa, invest about $100,000 USD in a textile business, or to get married. As awful as this is to admit, I actually did consider the marriage option for about a minute before completely dismissing it from my mind.

This guy proceeded to tell me that I was in Bangladesh illegally because my 60day pass had run out. I tried to explain to him that I had two 60-day passes but he said I didn't and proved as such using my passport. Then he told me that for each day I was illegally in Bangladesh, I would have to pay 500tk (which is about $7 USD). So at that point, I was up to a 6000tk debt. My mind started racing, panicking at the thought. All of a sudden I felt pressured to find an answer, an option, anything because for the time being, time IS money!

The whole ride back to the Dental Clinic, my heart was in my throat. I really didn't know what to do. We stopped at another pizza place for dinner but the food was tasteless in my mouth as I slowed chewed halfheartedly through an otherwise delicious pizza. When I got back to the Dental Clinic I went upstairs to talk to Litton to see if he had any advice or a different perspective to offer. He looked over my passport and visa and then explained that I DO have two 60-day passes. He pointed out that if I only had ONE 60-day pass, they wouldn't have let me back into Bangladesh after my Indian expedition. I had been thinking that during the meeting but my irrational self disregarded the thought and readily returned to panicking. Looking back to when I crossed back into Bangladesh, the border guard DID say that I had until January 3 until I had to be out of Bangladesh. [That was when I was trying to argue to stay using the logic that my visa expires 3.1.10 which to North America means March 1st not January 3rd lol.]

Anyways, I've stopped panicking now and am still looking for options on how to stay in Bangladesh longer if that is where God is leaving. I contacted the Bangladesh Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal to see if they would give me a two month visa and they said that I could get one in the same day if I arrived before 11am. So that's one option! I could use my Christmas/birthday money and some of the money I made during the summer to pay for a ticket over (they are ridiculously cheap!), especially because they offer 15-day visas for only about $30 at the airport. We're still looking at other options but I ask that you pray for Josiah and I as we try to find God's will for us over here!

So that's why I was so tired when I got back to BanglaHope. Saturday was a relaxing.. I did Sabbath school, took a nap, and went for a walk with Josiah and Brittni into the rice fields (or what's left of them). We didn't really know where we were going so we just meandered across the field until we came upon a road. Papri just so happened to be going by in a rickshaw van, jumped out, and walked back with us. We got some fun pictures on the way back :)


Saturday night I uploaded a TON of pictures to my new Facebook album "We Want Some MORE! Bangladesh Part 2". The public link is [http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=171272&id=549112159&l=908d7b94fe] so feel free to check them out even if you don't have a Facebook account :)

I started a new project too :) I cut out 108 stockings out of blue, red, yellow, orange, and green construction paper. I'm now in the process of using puff paint to draw a ruffle-like line on the top of the stocking and writing each kid's name on the bottom under some holly. I've done about 30ish so far... After everything's dry, I'm going to tape a hard candy to each one and hang it on their bed posts while they are asleep on Christmas Eve :) Well that is the current plan... Hopefully it will all work out. I should maybe be working on it right now but I need a break! lol



Tomorrow will be a good day I think. We are taking the preschool, kindergarten, and grade one class to the nearest village school so our kids can give Christmas presents to the village kids :) The girls will be given little porcelain dolls and the boys are getting Hot Wheels cars wrapped with a couple marbles and a balloon :) The Waid's want the kids to learn to share their blessings with those around them so they don't grow up with a false sense of wealth. I think it will be a good experience for the kids.

Merry Christmas to whoever reads this.. I'm so lucky to have each one of you in my life, supporting and praying for me each step of this journey.

ami tomake bhalobashi

1 comment:

  1. I hope things work out for your visa extension. I will be praying for you hon.

    What a great idea for stockings! But what a lot of work! Looks like you're doing a wonderful job though.

    And wow - look at that sky in your pic. Completely cloudless....and vast...

    How did the trip to the village school go? Did the kids enjoy it all??

    love you!!!

    ReplyDelete