Friday, January 1, 2010

of space heaters and 2010

The first day of a new decade. In my mind, such a day should be spent as one joyous celebration with brief interludes of song and dance. And wouldn't you know, that's exactly how I spent my day! Well, without the song and dance... And without the joyous celebration. Hmm... I guess that just leaves a normal day! lol

It was extraordinarily cold this morning so after waddling down to breakfast bundled up as well as I could, I gobbled down Shati's delicious man-size pancakes and ran back upstairs to curl up in bed. I'm not sure why, but Transformers seemed to be a good New Year's Day movie to watch as I coloured through another Bangla book for Mrs. Waid. And I pretty much stayed there for the rest of the day. At one point, I curled up on Elle's bed next to the space heater and took a nap as I thought of the shenanigans that were being had back home for New Year's.

[Just an FYI: Daylight Savings happened back in October back home right? That means that when I first got to Bangladesh, I was 14hrs ahead of you people back home on the West Coast until Daylight Savings happened. Since then, I've been 15hrs ahead. Well apparently, Bangladesh is the rebel of the bunch and decided to wait until last night (New Year's Eve) to fall behind one hour. So now I'm back to being 14hrs ahead of everyone on the West Coast. I know this may seem confusing and pointless but, for the few people that actually call, this will become important when school is back in. lol]

Anyways, while I rarely keep my New Year's resolutions, hopefully this year will be different. Most important things first, I want to initiate time with God even when things are good. I have a magnificent way of crying for help and mercy when everything has turned upside down but in 2010 I want to establish a relationship that is consistent through times both good and bad. Another goal for 2010 is to forgive and forget, live and learn--aka as cleanse my life of the poisonous grudges I've held onto for years. This one will be especially hard but most things worth doing usually are.

Then there are the ones that usually fall by the wayside--not this year! Exercise, floss, journal. This shall be the norm. My heart sank when I opened my journal tonight for the first time in weeks and realized that last entry was made December 6. Yikes. I know why that was the last entry for awhile but I feel like all the emotions from Christmas and even New Year's could have been poured into my journal instead of pouring tears into my pillow. Nonetheless, this year will be different. It's 2010 after all!! As for the floss, it's just good health :) And the exercise... I know I'll never be supermodel thin but there is no excuse for climbing the four flights of stairs to my apartment and feeling short of breath! lol Yet I hate running, jogging, and such so I'll probably start with some crunches and badminton. Start small right?

And so begins 2010. A new year, a new decade, a new chance to make your life all you want it to be. I hope you all took my advice from the previous post and had wonderful celebrations with friends and family.

Blessings in the year to come!
ami tomake bhalobashi

2 comments:

  1. Sid and I are sitting here in our living room side by side with our laptops typing comments to you after spending considerable time reading your blog posting. What a good writer and photographer you are!! Thanks for the chat this morning, hope you had a good sleep after wards. Blessings on your continued work and experiences there. Your trip to Katmandu brought back such good memories of our trip there many years ago. Thanks for letting in on your life in service and travel. Carol Kettner

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you. heaters

    ReplyDelete