Sunday, January 17, 2010

of Taco Bell sauce and doctors

I'm sorry. I was blogging almost every day and as soon as I get back to Bangladesh it's back to a blog every 4-5days! I shall try to do better!!

Our last day in Nepal was great. We had to check out of our hotel by noon so we all packed early so we could hit up Thamel one last time. Elle and I bought matching Kathmandu shirts and ended up just walking through the streets, soaking in as much Nepal as we could. Pragun sent us a text message asking if he could see us one last time. It was still morning so we told him we'd meet him for breakfast before checking out.

We met him at Pumpernickle Bakery and ordered some quick breakfast. Elle finally got her bagel and "cream cheese" (it was almost sour cream-like :P) and I had a wonderful bowl of whole wheat porridge. Isn't it amazing that I wouldn't hardly touch the stuff when I was a kid but here I was ordering it for myself as my last meal in Nepal? Weird.

Anyways. Pragun brought us presents. Not even kidding. He said he had enjoyed his time with us so much that he wanted to give us something. What a guy. He even wrapped them! Inside the first piece of wrapping paper were three individually wrapped presents. We each got a chunky bracelet, a classic Nepali hat, and a cool keychain. He gave Elle and me a pretty pashmina too! What a guy! He took time out of his day to be our tour guide and save Elle and I when we were lost, then he takes the time to get us presents as a thank-you. Nepal rocks my socks.

He walked us back to the hotel and we cleaned out our room and headed downstairs to settle our bill. We said goodbye to Pragun, promising to email and call him if we were ever back in Nepal. The ride to the airport was kinda sad in a way... Nepal had been so good to us (well to Elliot and me.. not really to Joe) and it was sad to leave! I really would go back again--so far it's my favourite place in Asia. BUT on the flight back, the plane was really empty so we got to sit wherever we want. We saw Everest in the first couple minutes :) [I don't know if I said this already, but we were told that you can't really see Everest until you get up to the Everest Viewing Hotel at like 14,000ft. Everest is hidden between a couple other tall peaks so flying over was the best chance we'd get at seeing it--we wouldn't have been able to see it from Nagarkot.]

[I think the black peak is Everest... but I got the whole thing on video and never took my eye off the horizon so even if it's not I know I saw Mt.Everest!]

We found out on the flight back that one of the flight attendants lived in Sector 6 right near the dental clinic. When he heard that we didn't have anyone to pick us up (Simson thought we were flying in the next day) he offered us a ride! Free of charge! Such a nice guy. When we got back to the dental clinic in Uttara, we crashed. We slept so much. I don't know, maybe it was the time change from Dhaka to Kathmandu. That 15min will really get you! lol just kidding.

The next day, Elliot and I met up with Litton, Shoburna, and Shushitra at the bus station while Josiah headed to the doctor to get tested for parasites. They found an ova (?) in his stool and I think there were worms spawning in his large intestine. Good times.. But I think he is doing better now. He would wait until Friday to come back while the rest of us piled on a bus and headed back to the orphanage. The coach buses are better than public buses--you have to buy a seat and there is a lot more room than in the normal buses. It was a long ride but I had enough room to put up my feet and sleep a little at least.

School's started now. I'm still teaching grade one and Elliot is teaching my old class in grade two now. Same old, same old. How to write the letters, short vowels, and Dick and Jane. I'm glad these kids are learning English but I really don't think this is my calling in life! Friday we resumed art class and had the kids made butterflies out of Popsicle sticks, coffee filters, and pipe cleaners. They had a blast! (pictures to come)

Later that evening, the van carrying Josiah and four American women pulled in. Dr. Becky Cote, Tammy B___, Mary ___, and Yvonne came to visit Bangla Hope for a week and a half. Dr. Becky and Tammy have been before and brought two friends along for the experience. Dr. Becky brought three big black totes full of medical supplies and Tammy brought new Sabbath School programs.

Sabbath was Mr.Waid's 81st birthday. He can still beat me at badminton too! It's incredible what good health he has. Shati made Mexican food for his birthday dinner complete with homemade salsa and chips. Elle pulled out a bag of goodies her mom sent and handed out Mild Taco Bell sauce. I was in HEAVEN! Oh man I've missed that stuff... I practically drank all three packets--I don't think much more than a couple drops made it onto my japatee burritos lol. Thank-you Candy!! :)

Today, the Doctor was In. We cracked open our gates and had villagers file in about twenty at a time to be seen by Rosemary, Dr. Becky, Elliot, and Yours Truly. That's right. I saw patients! The system was pretty simple: ask where it hurts, long long it's been hurting, and ask the women when their last period was (sometimes they don't know if they are pregnant and Tylenol is better to give than Advil if they are). Dr.Becky brought about ten different medications over, which were separated into vitamins and calcium, antibiotics, topical ointments, cough and cold, allergy, and stomach. Plus we had a whole table dedicated to ibuprofen, Tylenol and all subsequent spinoffs (Tylenol Sinus, Arthritis, Cold, Reg., Liqu-gels, etc.). In most cases we had some solution for the problems but in more serious cases we really had to recommend going to the hospital.

Let's see.. what did we have come through..? Young boy with huge pockets of puss in his ears (Dr.Becky showed me with her otoscope). A 2-yr old girl with one eye (not sure what happened to the other but it was just gone) but both were infected. Lots of arthritis--understandably considering how hard these people work. A couple hemorrhoids. A possible diabetic woman. Many mal-nourished children and adults--one child said she had a cup of tea for the day, that's it. Coughs and colds. Unfortunately, so much of what we can do is just hand out Tylenol to help with the pain. We don't have specific meds and these people can't afford medical care at a hospital. A baggy of 15 Tylenol is the best we could do.

It was an amazing experience though. The four women will be here until next Wednesday and we are going to see people as long as we have things to give them. Dr.Becky is expecting a couple more totes of medical supplies in the next day or so (the airline lost the totes for awhile). Elliot and I have been excused from school for a couple days to help out and I'm so excited to get a taste of my prospective field. I wish I could do more.

I'll be putting up pictures ASAP because you have got to see the 'pharmacy' we have going lol
ami tomake bhalobashi

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear you are having a good time. You are making life long friendships with these people and experiences that you will never forget. What an amazing experience. Glad to hear you are well and seeing all you can.
    So you are finally experiencing a little bit of medical missionary work, what a rewarding experience it can be when you are able to teach them simple home remedies that God has given to us like hydro therapy treatments and charcoal poultices. You must be so glad you have this information at your finger tips. Most people rely so much on meds that they forget that there were other modalities that God gave us before meds ever existed. I know that Janelle is so greatful for having been taught these simple remedies and I know your Mom has raised you with them as well. I feel fulfulled when I can share these with people and they go home and try them and they work and can't believe it. Because you are in a place where medicine is scare and there is so much need how fortuate it is for you to be able to educate with our 8 laws of health that God teaches. Sorry I am writing a book to you but I feel so strongly about not relying on medicine because of the cost or availablity for you over there and that it doesn't heal that you will be limiting help for people that can be taught simple remedies they can do for themselves and have them take charge of their health. Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day Teach a man to fish and he will eat for his lifetime. What an opportunity for you to make a difference in the lives of these people Jehanna, a true medical missionary relieves the physical suffering so that the heart is receptive to the gosple of Christ.
    Have loads of fun and do what God is calling you to do. Make a Kingdom difference in the lives of these people. Really listen to their needs and draw from the great physician, that is all we can do.
    God's Richest blessing to you and Love you.
    Auntie Sheila

    ReplyDelete