Friday, October 30, 2009

of sidewalk chalk and WWU care packages

Little Amber is doing so much better :) She has been well hydrated and fed since arriving at BanglaHope and the wrinkles are going away. Even the caregivers at the orphanage are surprised that Amber's head had been shaved in patches. But again, what matters most is that she is thriving here!

Yesterday was a little bit of a trying day. The internet here was so poor that I couldn't talk to anyone back home. I could see people were online but my Skype messages and Facebook chat messages were not going through. I really did feel like crying. But my day got better when I decided not to go back to my room after dinner. Instead I played with the children, helped with worship, and even got to feed little Natalie her dinner. That is easily one of the cutest things I've seen here YET. Bengali's don't have the whole, "open wide for the airplane bit" so when I started swerving around the spoon on the way to her mouth, her little head swung in time with the spoon. It was so freaking adorable. If that doesn't bring you up from a funk, nothing will :)

Late last night (6am West Coast time), I actually got to talk to my dad! Ahhh... After a day of frustration, mild anger, and even a couple tears, I heard a familiar voice. I couldn't believe it worked! Even though the conversation didn't last long, now that I know I CAN talk to my parents I feel like a certain weight has been lifted off my shoulders. After talking to Dad, Skype decided to work for even a couple minutes and I heard my mom's voice for the first time in almost two weeks. Again, God knew I needed Him to come through for me and He blessed. And then I slept peacefully :)

Today was another Friday for art. Keeping it simple, we gave each kid a fat piece of sidewalk chalk. Like handing Picasso a paintbrush, we knew we would be witness to many concrete masterpieces. And that's exactly what happened. As with times before, the kids began timidly drawing on the ground, but eventually bright rainbows, sunshines, and hearts emerged. I helped them to discover that you could trace yourself on the ground, which led to many handprints, footprints, and even flip flop prints. Soon names were scrawled between the pictures, followed by ABC's and even the Bangla alphabet. We had given them a 20x30ft piece of concrete to use, but the art began spilling over until the sidewalks to our apartment building and orphanage were covered in beautiful pictures. Once again, each child became an accomplished artist in their own right.

Mr.Waid and Litton got back today from Dhaka. Litton is the accountant here and the two made the journey to Dhaka to make sure the orphanage gets the NGO status it needs to exist in a Muslim country. We still don't know if we got it or not, but please pray that we do! Anyways, a package came in for Elliot and I from the Walla Walla Student Missions Office. What they sent may seem small, but Elle and I were practically giddy! We were sent the first two Collegian editions (school newspaper), a school calendar (which I am again not in :P grr...), and an SM newsletter. We were also given a package of peanuts. Not sure why--maybe that's what they've heard SM's crave while away. We were so excited though. It really is the small things over here that put a perma-smile on your face!

The SM office included a Wish List. I guess they get churches to make donations and then the office sends SM's Christmas packages. What do I really want here...? I found Heinz ketchup in Dhaka so I'm practically set! lol Luckily, they included a convenient list of most notable things missed while away. Elliot and I are thinking of asking for a fitted sheet for Christmas. Again, may sound small but when you wake up sleeping on the actual mattress, you feel kinda yucky. That or scented candles. It's amazing but when someone asks what to send, you really have no idea. I just want to know people are thinking of me, missing me, wishing I was home. I have mostly everything I need here, or at least access to buying it. But I don't have you [insert your name here...] in Bangladesh and definitely don't have access to buying you over here. Call me sentimental but all I want for Christmas is to know someone back home misses me (but if you send gifts I won't throw them away lol).

I have to prepare tonight for a different kind of class. Mrs. Waid found the programs for nursery, kindergarten, and primary Sabbath schools. What a coincidence there are three of us SM's here. I am charged with "Wild Animals - Kindergarten" and, call me crazy after the awful job I've done with short vowels, but I'm actually pretty psyched. I get to use felt Bibles, "Jesus Loves Me" pennants, and a variety of stuffed animals while singing the good ol' songs that we all know and loved. Then I get to teach them about the brown bear! Again, call my crazy but I'm excited :) I think spending so much time at an orphanage with 89kids has brought out the kid in me!

It's almost time for Vespers here. Yes, most of you are still asleep in your beds and I'm starting Sabbath. I'm still amazed that I'm literally on the other side of the world. Elliot and I were asked to sing tonight and we don't have a song yet... Ah last minute planning--at least I haven't lost my knack for that!

Happy Sabbath [when you get to it...]
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment