Friday, February 26, 2010

of stubbornness and weddings

Since Elliot's been gone, I've been filling my time helping Ryan with a ton of different projects: Handicrafts catalog, SM brochure, 2011 Bangla Hope calendar, and hopefully a training video for the caregivers here. It's actually been pretty nice being this busy. I wake up, have breakfast, go to class, work on the projects, more class, study, dinner, badminton, card games with the Waid's, then devotions before bed.

I can't believe that I leave exactly four weeks from today (Friday). Here's what's going down: My dad is coming over March 21 and I'll be picking him up in Dhaka. We are going to come back to the orphanage so that he can see what I've been doing for six months. We'll leave March 26 for Dhaka and take a train to Delhi (no it's not that simple but that's the trip in a nutshell). We'll have a week in Delhi then we're flying to Thailand for a couple weeks. Hopefully we'll get to see Phuket, Laos, Burma, and Chiang Mai--if you have other highlights to see in Thailand, please let me know! Ahhh... then home. It's weird that I leave on Friday, April 23 and get in at noon the same day--yet I'm still in transit for over 24hrs. I can't wait to see YOU.

I know I've said it before, but moreso than ever I'm committed to making the last four weeks I have here the best YET. Spending time with the kids, helping with projects, making memories--all the while neglecting my computer. It actually feels pretty good not to be as tied to this thing as I was before.

I've made an important decision this week too. Looking back on my time here, I would have missed out on so many great adventures and opportunities if I would have had the same mindset as I've had at home. What I mean is that back home, anyone who knows me knows that I've never watched the Office, played Wii or Guitar Hero. Why? Just because it was the popular thing to do so I showed my rebellion in NOT doing it. It's also the reason why I never got my ears pierced--I got a tattoo instead. Just be be different.

How many times have I turned down an Office party or round of DDR for Wii? Sure, people may have laughed at me OR maybe I could have made some great memories with friends.

Thus, I've decided life is TOO short to be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn. So bring on Wii, contra dancing, Guitar Hero, Chronicles of Narnia, and all the other things I turned down before. Jehanna is becoming open-minded and it's about time!

I've also fallen in love. Her name is Natalie and she is about two years old. She has a sweet round face and the cutest pigtails always sticking out the top of her head. Anytime she sees me, she drops whatever she is doing and runs at me full force with her little arms extended. Oh my goodness. I love her. She is just the most precious soul. I love her.

How am I going to be able to say goodbye to Bangla Hope in four short weeks? Oh dear.


The other exciting piece of news is that I'll get to see Litton and Suborna get married before I leave. They will be tying the knot March 13 here at Bangla Hope and have even asked me to sing :) They want me to sing "I will always love you" for the ceremony and "Wind beneath my wings" for the reception. But Bengali weddings are way cooler than North American weddings--they have turmeric parties. Never heard of it? Basically, turmeric is everywhere and everyone leaves slightly more yellow than how they arrived. I'm so excited. Now I just gotta find an outfit that I don't mind ruining :)

On another note, Mr.Waid and his nephew Jim Brewer got on a bus early this morning from Dhaka to Hili. I guess it was foggy out this morning and their bus slammed into the back of a truck that was parked on the road. No one was seriously injured (Jim has a cut on his upper lip and Mr.Waid has a bruise on his chin) but it's definitely one of those times that remind you how fleeting life is. It also reminds me of how amazing and merciful the God we serve is.

anyways, that's all that is going on in my world currently. Four weeks left. Everybody get your countdown calendars out,

ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment