Monday, February 8, 2010

of SuperBowl and sick rooms

I had a great weekend. I scrambled a lesson together for Sabbath school, something about the Golden Rule--do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I was supposed to talk about the whole speck in your brother's eye and a plank in your eye so I drew a big picture of an eye. Yeah... my artistic skills were put to shame when the kids said "poka" and "roach" instead of "eye" when I asked them what it was... lol For the record, I've never claimed to be an artist!

Later that afternoon, we headed to the local village school to do an afternoon Sabbath school with them. We brought along four of our kids to lead the songs and then I told the story of Joseph and his brothers. Josiah followed it up with a story about forgiving someone who had injured him while playing soccer. Elle came up with a small art project to do, where the kids traced their hands on the paper and drew how they could do good with their hands and not evil. We had a lot of fun and even got to connect with some of the women that came with their children--we may even be cooking with them tomorrow afternoon!

Later that evening we had a couple games of intense badminton and then we all played 5 Crowns with the Waids (it's kinda like rummy but with special cards). I did well at badminton but got killed at 5 Crowns. Yesterday I redeemed myself though by winning the game with only getting 19pts the whole time! Whoop whoop!

Yesterday Elliot and I had the BRILLIANT idea of buying t-shirts in Hili and decorating them with puff paint in honour of the SuperBowl. The Waid's get some satellite channels so we all planned to get up early to watch the game. We bought chips, tiny oranges, and spicy peas in town for snacks and planned to make popcorn the morning of.

We got t-shirts for Mr.Waid, Ryan, Josiah, and ourselves. Elle was supporting the Colts (her birth town) so I decided to go for the Saints. Thus I choose a red t-shirt--plainly showing how much I DON'T know about football lol. Our shirts turned out soooo cool though. Really, that was half the fun for me :) Nonetheless though, Elliot and I woke up at 4:15am (2:15pm Sunday afternoon back home) to get ready and meet Ryan downstairs to make popcorn. By the way, thanks Mom for the popcorn. We had to use the stuff you sent me because everything in the kitchen was locked since it was 4:30AM! :P lol


With snacks in hand and Ryan wearing his new shirt, we trekked to the Waid's apartment to watch the game. We thought for sure it would be playing on ESPN but what we didn't realize is that the channel was ESPN Asia... So the SuperBowl was replaced by cricket and junior badminton matches. Not so awesome. Josiah and Mr.Waid ended up staying in bed because we couldn't get the game but us 'die hard fans' gathered as many snacks and headed down to the office to try to stream the game. Again, not so much. Good ol' Bangladesh internet.


While we were waiting for the stream to work, we made up one of those 10x10 score cards. No we weren't gambling... What do Adventists call this...? Oh right, raffling. lol We each chose 33 squares at 10tk a square. Each quarter, someone would win 200tk and then the final score would win 400tk. Elliot won the first quarter since she had the 0-0 square, I won the next one with 0-6, we think Ryan won the third quarter (but aren't sure because that's when the power went out--if you know what the score was let me know!), and I won the final jackpot with 7-1. It kinda evened out in the end though lol.

We got to watch snippets of the game but at one point the power went out and any stream that we were almost at shut off. We kept checking the score as long as we could until Elliot's cell phone (and thus Bluetooth) died. In the meantime we listened to music, had a lot of laughs, ate some yummy food, and did our best to really make this a memorable SuperBowl. Near the end we had the brilliant idea of heading to the roof to try to get a better signal so we spent 10min on the top of the roof, waiting to see even a glimpse of anything. Dang. Nothing. But the Saints won and I won our little raffle. It was a good day.

The SuperBowl ended just as breakfast was starting so we ran down to eat. I gave Mr.Waid and Josiah the t-shirts we had decorated for them--I have to say Josiah's was my favourite that we did (it had a tie and pocket printed on the front and looked pretty 80's). After teaching class, I came upstairs and took a LONG nap. It felt wonderful... We were then invited to the mayor of Panchbibi's twin sons' birthday. Yeah we are THAT important lol. Well actually, the man who invited us to the Eid festival dinner was related to the mayor (which isn't surprising considering his father had FOUR wives, totaling 17children). We had another fabulous meal, got to see Polly (she did the henna on our hands at the Eid Fest), and spent time talking with the grandma and niece. The grandma is SO sweet... Oh man, I love her.


When we got back, I stayed down to hang out with the kids for a while. They ran around the side of the building and showed me four HUGE beehives stuck to the side of our building. Seriously, these things are monstrous! One is even shaped like an 'S' and is pretty impressive! "Moe-ma see-chalk" either means bees or honey but I learned a new word in the process :)

The kids all went into the cafeteria to eat dinner and I was walking back to the apartment, I passed by the sick room. Poor little Natalie was standing in the middle of the room, naked, alone, and crying. I went in picked her up and tried to figure out what was wrong. The poor sweetheart was sick with scabbies (a skin disease that is pretty contagious, but 100% preventable, so she had to be isolated from the other kids) and the caregiver had gone to get something quickly. I held her until she stopped crying and the caregiver got back. We got her dressed but she was still crying so I craddled her like a baby in my arms as I tried to cheer her up.


She wouldn't crack a smile for the longest time. I tried everything but surprisingly enough the thing that worked the most was pretending to eat her fingers.. Weird I know. "Ami cabo tomar hot" which means "I eat your hand." She broke into a smile, and when I pretended to eat her stomach and she busted up laughing. She's soooo cute.... Such a sweet little darling girl!

anyways, I only got about 5hrs of sleep last night and am fading fast so I'm going to head to bed... I hope you all had wonderful SuperBowl parties and I can't wait to celebrate with you next year. I realized that while I don't know much about football, I love dressing up, making food, and hosting the parties. Good times, good memories...

ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment