Tuesday, March 16, 2010

of Dolly and catalogs

Allow me to introduce you to Dolly. I was originally going to talk about Mikey tonight but after saying goodnight to Dolly, I just can't resist! Dolly is Amelia's little sister whom we brought from the south this last November. Mrs.Waid carried her in the van and anytime she caught Amelia's eye she would start crying. Both of them had such bad chest coughs when they first arrived and for some reason, Dolly's has persisted even to now.

The thing that strikes me about Dolly is how SMALL she is... She's got to be almost a year and a half old but when you pick her up, it's like picking up air. She's so light and so tiny. She eats so so so much and hasn't gained any weight since coming here. I think that just points to how badly malnourished she was when we first brought her here.

I've been trying to make it to more than just the boys' room to say goodnight and last night I was so glad I stopped in at the nursery. I sat with some of the mothers as they were finishing off the nightly diapers and putting the kids to bed. I asked one of them to show me how to tie a cloth diaper. It's not too complicated, thought it slightly resembles origami--the only difference is that if you don't fold a paper swan right, nothing happens. In this case, you could be wrist-deep in... You know. lol Anyways, after I learned how (and did an awful demonstration of my new skill) I went around and kissed all the babies goodnight. While most of them were scared of me and started screaming at the sight of me, Dolly held out her hands wide for me to pick her up. I picked her up and gave her a ton of kisses, tickles, and hugs. Her laugh was so quiet, yet so energetic at the same time... Such a cutie pie!

Today my day was consumed by this darn catalog. I have to give Elliot and Ryan mad props for getting the backbone of this monster in place because even the fine-tuning has taken forever it seems. Adding, editing, reformatting... Each time through the printed draft produced new errors to be corrected. And because we were doing this all on Elliot's little netbook, Publisher kept freezing under the enormity of the 44-page file. So frustrating at times. I spent the better part of the day with both netbooks opened in front of me, trying to edit between crashes on one and trying to download Mozilla onto the other. Both in the end were successful thankfully. I can't stand Internet Explorer... And Mr.Waid and Josiah are headed to Dhaka tomorrow morning with a flashdrive containing about three solid weeks of work to print it off in Uttara. I think I want to get a copy just so I can show people the amount of work this 'catalog' took--it's really a piece of art in my books lol.

Hence, the art project planning ONCE again got pushed to the bottom of Jehanna's priority pile. yikes. I need to get on that! Eggs with baskets for Easter, three fish threaded onto a popsicle stick with thick twine, seeds glued onto construction paper to make flowers in a vase, and... face masks. That's what I've got so far. When I say "got" I mean, ideas in place but not portioned out with an example and packed into a Ziplock bag. grrrr. Maybe tomorrow I'll tackle that one. I'm really trying to get all this stuff done THIS week so next week can be devoted to packing and showing Dad around my home away from home. So stop procrastinating... lol

So that was about the extent of the exciting parts of my day. Blogging every day becomes retelling a lot of the same stories over and over... So sorry if you're bored :) I don't blame you if you read about the daily kid then move on to updating your Facebook lol
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment