Thursday, March 11, 2010

of Shaelah and Bette Midler

Allow me to introduce you to my namesake Shaelah. About a month after we had been in Bangladesh, we all headed south to Gopalganj in a van to see the village schools and bring back some more kids to the orphanage. I met little Shaelah, her mother and grandmother on the way to the pick up point. For some reason, I just felt drawn to this family. I sat with the them, helped the mother wash and change her little girl into the clothes we had brought, and used as much of my little Bangla (really little at the time) to try to give comfort. I blogged all about this in November but it's the only case history I know of for Shaelah.

She's just over a year old now, born on February 11. That was the other thing that drew me to her, close to my birthday, Valentine's Day, and (at the time) my one year anniversary. I considered naming her Michelle decided on Shaelah because, well, she just looked like a Shaelah to me. I hope naming my kids will be that easy!

Shaelah's been doing well at the orphanage. Honestly, I don't see her much because she's in the nursery and I'm prone to play with the older kids. I've gone to see her a couple times but she's at that "scared of white people" phase and starts to cry when I pick her up. Maybe in a couple years when I come back she'll be better... But then I doubt she'd remember me, holding her for 10hours as steadily as I could so she wouldn't wake up and cry. Kids these days eh? They ain't got no gratitude... lol jk :)

Today was a tad bit crazy. I taught English and English Math this morning (adding three numbers and a story about Sally and Spot being scared by scary looking boxes that really only had Dick and Jane under them.. good times) and then headed down to hopefully work with Ryan on FINISHING that blasted catalog. Don't get me wrong, this catalog looks incredible thanks to the hard work of Elliot and Ryan, but I just want it to be done already! Not yet, not yet...

It was Thanksgiving today. lol I got a craving for stuffing and decided to make it a new Thanksgiving on March 11. I grabbed my 97cent Walmart instant stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, and a can of Fri-Chik and headed down to the kitchen with my treasures. I had brought over the instant mixes for Canadian and American Thanksgivings because, at the time, I didn't know that we were going to be eating such good food here! But Shati made dinners for both occasions so I've been saving them, along with the Fri-Chik Mom sent me for Christmas, for a special occasion. But somehow, special occasions never really come. Days pass and before you know it, you're leaving Bangladesh in TWO WEEKS and you have a container full of specialty foods that you've been stocking up on. Yikes.

Thanksgiving on March 11. I think it could become a tradition. Ryan and I celebrated (there was to much food for just one person so I was nice and shared lol) in Litton's back office as we debated the formats of the brochure and catalog. We made a pact to celebrate next year too and we'll be sure to invite YOU if you want to participate in our new holiday. Bring food and gifts lol.

After Thanksgiving lunch, I was excused from classes and ordered to the cafeteria to help Mrs.Waid decorate for the wedding tomorrow. 50 yards of pink tule, flowers, and ribbons. Simple, but beautiful. We have Walla Walla, Brianna Myers, and Tracy to thank too though: they supplied the LIGHTS lol. I took down the red star lights in our room from Tracy to decorate two of the windows. Brianna sent over some really cool battery powered Christmas lights that are now being used to decorate the unity candle, and WallaWalla's Christmas lights are being used at the front of the chapel. Go team go!

The rest of the day was more decorating, with lots of time spent between the cafe and the huge tent set up across the badminton courts for the reception. Don't worry, there are tons of pictures to come :)

But the REAL fun starts at 6:30am tomorrow with a turmeric party. You wear something that you really don't mind ruining and spend a couple hours smearing turmeric on everyone else's face and arms for good luck. lol Now how would that go over in America...? Not well I'm guessing so I'm excited for this opportunity. I'm hoping no chicken's heads will get cut off and I'm fairly certain the odds are low of that happening--that event is contained to young Hindu marriages.

The ceremony starts at 11am and I am in charge of sound. I spent a couple minutes working out how to fade in and out of songs in order to not have such a harsh ending. I'm not stellar at it, but it will do. I was asked to sing for the ceremony and reception, both songs a tribute to the great Bette Midler. "The Rose" for the ceremony and "Wind Beneath My Wings" for the reception. It's a good thing that nobody speaks very much English because I really don't remember the words to "Wind Beneath My Wings" as well as I should.. [Note to self: print out lyrics in the morning...] Papri is adamant about me singing "My Heart Will Go On" at some point and I'm afraid she might shout "Encore, encore" at the reception. [Note to self: print out Titanic lyrics too...]

so there's an early start to the morning ahead and I'm still up at midnight:04 lol. It's going to be a long day... Best wishes to Litton and Suborna on their last night as single people :)
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment