Saturday, March 27, 2010

of last lists and planes, trains, and lots of automobiles

So right now, I'm paying 80rp/hr at the airport for internet. This'll be a fast one! I miss YVR.. free internet!

Anyways, we caught the bus later on Friday after tearful goodbyes at the orphanage. I didn't make a big production out of it; I just let the kids know how much I loved them and that I would be back to see them again sometime. It was so hard to say goodbye to all of them, all the caregivers, all the staff--everyone that has become close as family the past six months. I just know God will be bringing me back eventually.

We got into Kolkata after an overall sleepless night (the bus was extremely bumpy and would stop like every hour--who has to pee that much at NIGHT?!?!) around 6am this morning. Luckily, Litton had given me the address of the Seventh-day Adventist church so we took a taxi there. It was early but we were still given a room to change in and a bathroom to shower in. Glorious. You have no idea how hot it has gotten here. Without a/c you just melt into a pool! And not the good kind of pool either.

The rest of the day was pretty eventful. We spent the morning at the Sabbath school but then Dad got a hold of some missionaries here that he worked with back in NYC when my sister was born. We skipped church at Kolkata SDA and jumped into a taxi heading for Sonarpur. That was when we interrupted Bill's sermon at his orphanage. No problem. He was so happy to see Dad. They said it must have been 24yrs. Needless to say, I've never met Bill.
After church, we headed to Bill's apartment for lunch. He shared with us stories from his orphanage and even shed a tear or two at the thought of a specific child's painful experience. He seems to have a very big heart for these kids. What an amazing ministry.

Back in a taxi and heading for the SDAH train station. We were supposed to catch the 4:50pm train to Delhi but I didn't realize we were actually on the waiting list for the train... Dad found out we were 3rd and 4th on the list. But apparently those people showed up because we weren't let on the train. We were told to go upstairs and talk to the booking agents to see about another train out of a different station.
That one had 59 on its waiting list. By now, we were scorching hot, frustrated, and wanting to be done with all of this. We found out we had a chance of getting on a special foreigner's traincar tomorrow but then we would have had to find the tower downtown that dealt with such things. Thus we decided to cut through all the nonsense and fly to Delhi from Kolkata. Thus I'm in the airport, probably about to have another mildly sleepless night. We leave at 7:05am and get into Delhi a couple hours later. Nothing really turned out the way we thought it would (or planned) but we still had an adventure if nothing else.

By the way, whilst waiting in the airport, I took Janet's advice and wrote out some lists.

Top Five Practical Lessons From Bangladesh:
1. How to make dhal and Bengali potatoes (yum)
2. How to chop on that curved knife (and keep all your fingers intact)
3. How to do laundry in a bucket
4. How to kill cockroaches with less fear lol
5. How to barter down prices! (just ask Dad)

I am:
1. Teacher
2. Sister (didi)
3. Mommy
4. Preacher
5. Missionary
6. Cook
7. Artist
8. Cheerleader
9. World Traveler
10. Christ Follower

My Top Five Hardest Moments in Bangladesh:
1. Christmas by myself
2. Taking Shaelah, Dolly, and Amelia from their mothers down south
3. Saying goodbye and leaving Bangla Hope on Friday
4&5 are kinda personal... You can ask me when I get back if you're interested.

My Top TEN Moments in Bangladesh:
1. Dancing in the rain
2. Cooking with Kakoli in the village
3. SUPERBOWL!
4. Last Village Sabbath school with all my kids crowded around listening to me talk about Jesus
5. Playing badminton with Mr.Waid
6. Playing 5 Crowns with Ryan and Mrs.Waid (and rolling on the couch laughing)
7. Helping the woman at the dental clinic get medicine
8. Rooftop vespers with Elliot
9. NEPAL -- through and through!!
10. Rocking Dolly and Natalie to sleep

Top Ten things God has taught me:
1. He works all things for the good (even if I can't see it at the time)
2. I am a beautiful person and don't need a man to confirm that
3. I have so much to offer someone, whether they are male or female, old or young.
4. I have control over my actions and my tongue.
5. God opens doors no man can close; He also closes doors no man can open.
6. Principle before personality
7. He created me special and longs to be the Romancer of my soul
8. He also gave me a creative mind, one that I have been stifling for far too long
9. Life without purpose is just a rat race
10. Joy is a choice and a gift you choose to give

Random other things I've learned:
1. speak Bangla!!
2. Tie a shari
3. Bonno Fulli Hi dance (so cute with Tisha--yes I have it on video lol)
4. Life is too short to be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn
5. Embroider
6. Drive the Hilux!! lol heck yes! All the way from Bangla Hope to my Sabbath School in the village
7. Reformat a computer
8. French braid hair
... more to come when I think of them...

Anyways, the point of all that was that I have really been on an amazing journey and feel so thankful that God led me to this mission opportunity. The bad has brought me to the good and the good brought me to my heart of hearts.

I finally don't regret going to Bangladesh. In fact, I wouldn't trade this year for anything in the world.

Now it's going to be just as important that I don't forget it!
ami tomake bhalobashi

1 comment:

  1. I miss you J! Looking forward to catching up once you're back.

    ReplyDelete