Monday, March 8, 2010

of Sheba and Dhaka days

Allow me to introduce you to Sheba. I'm so excited for you to meet her. She is the CUTEST child. Ever. lol I'm going to be saying that a lot but there is a reason why Sheba is one of my top 10 favourites here. She is just adorable through and through! She's in my grade one class and is so smart, but definitely in a shy way. If you ever catch her eye and smile at her, she sticks her tongue just a tiny bit through her teeth and smiles--every time, without fail. In fact, when we first got here and she was in Elliot's Kindergarten class, that is how Elliot described her when I couldn't put a face on the name.

[Now that I'm back at Bangla Hope...] Sheba is about seven years old but I don't know how long she's been at Bangla Hope. Her family lived halfway on a path leading to a village in southern Bangladesh. They had no land so the father used jute sticks to build a small house on the path. Sheba is one of three daughters. When she was small, her mother got typhoid and was left "simple-minded" by the fever. She was no longer able to take care of Sheba or the rest of the family. Thus, Sheba was given to Bangla Hope so that she could get good food, clean clothes, education, and lots of loving :)

Sheba is an absolute gem. She has such thick, beautiful hair and such a cute face. I have to say though, she has a huge head. LOL I know that may sound slightly mean, but it's true! When we made Native American headdresses (you can't call them Indian here because India is right next door), the two strips of paper were barely enough to fit around her noggin. Sheba has the perfect little girl laugh and uses it often. I just love her to pieces. Seriously, she's got all the areas covered: cuteness, smartness, listening abilities, and she sticks out her tongue all the time! Just so freaking cute. I love her!

Dhaka days. Well really it's one day. We left Bangla Hope 5am this morning and are heading back as soon as I apply for my Indian visa tomorrow morning. It's hard to comprehend that this is the last time I'm going to be in Dhaka before I see my dad. 13days. Dhaka will never be the same. Anyways, I had quite the set of adventures and heart-tugging experiences today. Unfortunately though, these stories will only be privy to a certain group of people upon my arrival home. lol I know I'm shrouding this in mystery but if you hear either story, you'll understand why :) And I know all of that was just really vague but I can't help it. My journal tells all though!

I can't believe how hot it's gotten here. I'm sitting under a mosquito net, sweltering and wondering how I'm ever going to sleep tonight... I know Dad is going to call me a liar when he gets here but I swear, I near about froze this last Christmas! I promise. It was ridiculously cold!! And now I'm melting into a pool of... well you know. lol

Two 7hr trips in two days. Awesome. Going to down to WallaWalla is going to be a cakewalk after all this driving. Granted, I'm not driving... but still. I have driven in Bangladesh though. All of about a foot and a half, but I did! I didn't stall our rusty Hilux either! Good times were had by all :)

anyways, I'm exhausted so I'm heading to bed right after I read my daily Proverb and chapter of John. Then I'm going to be out like a light!
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment