Wednesday, March 3, 2010

of Luke and border patrol

Allow me to introduce you to Luke. I've never taught Luke in classes before but every time I walk by the boys' room at night, he comes out yelling "Jehanna Teacher, sing a song!" He is such a sweet little boy. He always asks me for a kiss on the nose, which started a epidemic among the other boys thereafter.

Luke just turned 5 on Feb.6 and have been at Bangla Hope since he was 9months old. His father left his mother for another woman soon after he was born and she was forced to take a job at a garment factory. She couldn't take care of Luke while she was working. When he came to us, he was very thin but started to fill out when he started eating good meals.

He is now a boisterous little boy, causing trouble when he doesn't get his way. He has a sensitive personality and cries easily when the older boys play rough with him. He's also very stubborn and has been spanked many times recently for just not cooperating :) Kids will be kids right? But the reason I love Luke is because he always says, "Jehanna Teacher, tomake ami bhalobashi." I think he means it the other way around but it always comes across to me as "You love me?" Then I give him a big kiss and say "Yes, Luke, ami tomake bhalobashi."

After lunch today, Mrs. Waid and I took a rickshaw van into Hili to get some things for Litton and Suborna's wedding. I can't believe it but they are getting married a week from Friday. Oh dear. We have so much to do. We bought a ton of ribbons and some fake flowers and Mrs.Waid is starting to arrange the bouquets for the wedding party.

I was looking for a couple shari's for my sister and a friend of mine throughout the shops. Oh man, I had a blast! Now that I can speak a little bit more Bangla, I was joking with the salesmen and bartering them down to about half their original price. First you ask for good price. Then you ask for friend price. Then you say "Uncle, tume bollo bhalo taka" (very loosely translated: Uncle, you tell me good price). lol And that's the way it's done!

We decided to take a rickshaw back to the orphanage because they are generally easier on the back than rickshaw vans are. Just outside of Hili we were stopped by the border patrol guards. Because Hili is so close to India, some people smuggle in cigarettes and sharis so the border patrol makes sure you pay customs and such. Anyways, we clearly didn't have any such merchandise but, hey, white people! lol

I asked them how they were doing in Bangla, then three guards were around our rickshaw. BP: "What your country?" Jehanna: "Amar deshi Canada." BP: "What you do Bangladesh?" JSE: "Mission." BP: "What your personal life?" JSE: "I'm sorry, what?" BP: "Married you?" Mrs. Waid: (nudging me and leaning in close) "Tell them you're married or they will try to get contact you after." JSE: "Yes, I'm married." BP: "Oh too bad. What your husband do?" JSE: "He's a student." BP: "Okay, thank-you. Have nice day."

Oh the joys of being a foreigner in Bangladesh.

That's the first time I've been asked about "my personal life" though. I've been asked my country, what my father does, why I'm in Bangladesh, but never so bluntly as these guys did. Good times... ahhh soak it in before it's gone right? lol

anyways, that was the biggest news of the day, only 18days until I see Dad!!
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment