Friday, March 5, 2010

of Marjorie and quiet reflections

Allow me to introduce you to Marjorie. Marjorie is in my grade one class and is such a sweet little girl. She's the kind that you'd never notice unless you took the time. Even as I looked through my hundreds of pictures from this trip, I regretfully say that most of my earlier pictures (back when I was so adamant about documenting each step) are of the "loud" kids. I didn't notice Marjorie until one Sabbath day, she quietly came up and held my hand as we were walking. And this was AFTER Christmas. I'm really glad I'm doing this daily blog because it makes me realize how many images I've taken for granted and I really want to make sure I take pictures of everything and everyONE who has meant so much to me.

Anyways, I can't find the case history for Marjorie but I can tell you the blessing she has been in my life. Over here, the first kids you meet are the loud and outgoing ones. They are so sweet, but they get overwhelming and slightly annoying quite quickly. Marjorie is one of those that is so so so smart but is so quiet that you think she can't speak a word of English. But she's also one of those that will sit with you, just enjoying the sunshine and company.

Lately in class, she's been taking longer to finish her assignments. I'm not sure why because I know she knows how to add. It's like she's afraid to get the wrong answer (reminds me of "someone" I know too..). Just a few days ago, she started crying in class because she had to go to the bathroom but was too afraid to ask permission to go (don't worry I haven't had an accident in class yet!). When Marjorie applies herself she flies through her work. And that's how I am too! I'll dawdle around, procrastinating and probably frustrating the people around me that need me to follow through--then at the final crunch time, pull all nighters to get it done and finished. Lesson for the day: don't be afraid to be wrong and don't procrastinate!

Today was relatively uneventful. We started a new story today called "Puff." It goes something like "Puff, Puff. Oh Puff. Puff, Puff. Look Jane. Look Dick. Look at Puff." And that's what we read for a half an hour. Over and over. Again, I'm trying not to complain because I know how important these baby steps are.. but come on! lol After than I came up to my room to take a shower and got to talk to my parents for awhile.

Josiah brought back a care package from WallaWalla again :) It had notes in it from people back home. It's amazing how such small things can make you smile sometimes. Just enough to fit on a sticky note is like gold here. I loved reading the Collegian and asking my roommate Banni which guys in the date auction she thought were good looking. She said none of them lol.

Class was canceled for the rest of the day so the teachers could get the "library" organized and all the books accounted for. I helped Mrs.Waid in Handicrafts and found a beautiful pillow set that I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy--pink lilies on a white case... so pretty. lol

And after that... just a free night to do laundry, brush up on some physics and translational motion. You know, the usual. lol Maybe tomorrow will be more exciting :)
ami tomake bhalobashi

No comments:

Post a Comment